Research and programs
The UCSF Bixby Center believes in sexual and reproductive health for all. We foster rigorous and cutting-edge research and education that address important issues to improve the health of women, men and adolescents globally.
We serve as an innovative academic research hub on global reproductive health, bringing together a broad variety of disciplines to help improve women’s health globally. Our investigators work in medicine, nursing, pharmacy, epidemiology, demography, sociology, anthropology, public health, and health services to address the complex and varied components of reproductive health.
Our expertise also includes rigorous research capabilities and real-world health care services. The Bixby Center’s partnership with UCSF clinics, such as the Women’s Option Center and New Generation Health Center, keep our research grounded in the practical, every-day experience of providing clinical care to patients.
We consistently produce high-quality and reliable data through our innovative methods that blend social science with clinical research. Our investigators look at a range of issues that affect women, men and adolescents around the world:
- Abortion. The Bixby Center is one of the few institutions to unflinchingly address abortion, investigating multidimensional aspects of abortion services and care in the US and globally.
- Adolescent sexual health. Our longstanding expertise in adolescent health policy is helping improve sexual health and education for teenagers.
- Contraceptive research and services. We have decades of experience in evaluating the safety, efficacy and acceptability of contraceptives and family planning programs.
- HIV and sexually transmitted infections. Our HIV/AIDS and STI research and programs have been instrumental in informing clinical standards and guidelines.
- Pregnancy and childbirth. Our extensive research on the leading cause of maternal mortality worldwide is saving mothers' lives around the world.
- Education and training. We train the next generation of family planning, abortion and HIV/AIDS providers who work to ensure access to safe and comprehensive health care.