Programs and partners
The Bixby Center for Global Reproductive Health is housed within the University of California, San Francisco (UCSF) School of Medicine. Our programs address critical issues in reproductive and sexual health research, care, policy and medical training:
- Advancing New Standards in Reproductive Health (ANSIRH) is dedicated to ensuring that reproductive health care and policy are grounded in evidence. We are a collaborative research group that conducts rigorous, innovative social science research on complex and controversial issues related to reproduction.
- Beyond the Pill seeks to promote access, equity and excellence in women’s reproductive health care. We conduct rigorous research to improve education, policy and clinical care worldwide.
- For more than 15 years, the Bixby Center has monitored and evaluated California’s Family Planning, Access, Care and Treatment (PACT) Program. Family PACT is a Medicaid expansion program that provides low-income and uninsured Californians with family planning and other sexual health services. The program successfully promotes reproductive health, including reducing unintended pregnancy and preterm birth.
- Family AIDS Care & Education Services (FACES) is a family-focused, comprehensive HIV prevention, care and treatment program working collaboratively with the Kenyan Ministry of Health to build sustainable HIV care systems in the country. We are a collaboration between the Bixby Center and the Kenya Medical Research Institute (KEMRI).
- The Fellowship in Family Planning is a two-year post-residency training program for physicians that focuses on creating leaders in research, teaching and clinical skills in abortion and contraceptive care. The National Office of the Fellowship, housed at the Bixby Center, coordinates fellows' work with respected leaders in the field, visits to international partner organizations, original research projects and completion of a Masters degree in clinical research.
- Innovating Education in Reproductive Health has created a digital hub for cutting-edge curricula to teach abortion and family planning to health professionals at all levels. Our goal is to support clinicians dedicated to providing high-quality health care to women through eLearning, mobile technology and hands-on support.
- The Kenneth J. Ryan Residency Program is a national initiative based at the Bixby Center that integrates and enhances family planning training for obstetrics and gynecology residents in the United States and Canada. We provide resources and technical expertise to medical schools, improving clinical care and didactics in contraception and abortion.
- The Safe Motherhood Program prevents maternal deaths by promoting women’s health and rights. We conduct rigorous research and translate findings into actionable knowledge for clinicians and providers globally, while also creating links between research, policy and implementation.
- The UCSF-University of Zimbabwe Collaborative Research Programme (UZ-UCSF) conducts clinical research related to the treatment and prevention of HIV, AIDS-related illnesses and women’s health. UCSF provides scientific leadership and administrative support for the program, while UZ conducts research at many centers around Zimbabwe.
The Bixby Center also works with a variety of partner programs at the University of California, including:
- The UCSF Center for AIDS Prevention Studies (CAPS) aims to end the HIV epidemic and associated health and social disparities by conducting high-impact HIV prevention science and building capacity among researchers and communities to address effectively HIV.
- New Generation Health Center (New Gen) is a clinical care center focused on youth in San Francisco. New Gen employs a comprehensive model of care that includes youth-friendly services and education. The Bixby Center and New Gen work together on research studies focusing on adolescent reproductive health care.
- Philip R. Lee Institute for Health Policy Studies (IHPS) works to solve complex health policy problems through research, training, technical assistance and public service. Our special competence lies in translating research across disciplines and fields to inform health policy. The Bixby Center works closely with IHPS on adolescent sexual and reproductive health policy issues.
- San Francisco General Hospital (SFGH) division of Ob/Gyn provides a wide range of women's health services, including prenatal, obstetrics, midwifery and general gynecology care. Most Bixby Center clinical faculty provide care to patients and train medical students, residents and fellows at SFGH.
- Women’s Options Center (WOC) provides abortion care and family planning services in a private, comfortable and sensitive environment. WOC provides care for women seeking elective abortion, treatment for miscarriage or fetal death, and pregnancy termination due to health problems of the fetus or mother. The Bixby Center partners with WOC to conduct research on abortion, contraceptive services and care delivery methods.
- University of California Global Health Institute (UCGHI) advances the mission of the 10-campus University of California system to improve the lives of people in California and around the world. UCGHI trains the next generation of global health leaders and accelerates the discovery and implementation of transformative global health solutions.