Make a gift to advance reproductive health care with dignity
As the year comes to an end, the UCSF Bixby Center is proud to celebrate our contributions to global reproductive health. Our newly released annual report highlights several noteworthy achievements from the past year, including:
- Showing that abortion in the US is safer than a tonsillectomy, with less than 1/4 of 1 percent of procedures having a major complication.
- Working with the World Bank to include adolescent health perspectives in its programs, particularly the impact of early marriage on young women’s health and development.
- Expanding birth control options for US women by researching the safety and acceptability of a new lower-cost IUD and over-the-counter emergency contraception for all ages.
- Running the first online course about abortion, reaching nearly 7,000 learners in 155 countries.
- Supporting the launch of the first HIV vaccine clinical trial in Zimbabwe.
- Designing and testing a simple tool that saves women’s lives when they lose a dangerous amount of blood after giving birth—an anti-shock garment called the Lifewrap.
While we are proud of our accomplishments, reproductive health care is literally under attack in the US and abroad, and we can do so much more. And with cuts in funding from federal and state governments, we rely more than ever on private donations. We need your support to ensure that all people have the power to manage their reproductive health with dignity.
The UCSF Bixby Center has come a long way since we first set out to strengthen the science behind reproductive health care. Today, we are working toward:
- Giving women over-the-counter access to the birth control pill.
- Developing the next generation of reproductive health technologies that will simultaneously prevent pregnancy, HIV and other sexually transmitted infections.
- Training the next generation of providers in comprehensive reproductive health care in the US and around the world, including abortion, birth control, emergency obstetrical care and HIV/AIDS care.
A tax-deductible year-end gift can help us achieve these life-altering goals. Thank you for your support.