Jillian Henderson, PhD, MPH
Kaiser-Permanente Center for Health Research, Northwest
Jillian Henderson, PhD, MPH, received an MPH in Epidemiology and a PhD in Health Services Research from the University of Michigan and completed an Ellertson Social Science Postdoctoral Fellowship at UCSF. As an Assistant Professor at UCSF, her research focused on health care access and quality related to contraceptive choice and reproductive health. She also led a research program in Nepal examining the effects of abortion legalization and factors related to unsafe abortion. She continues to contribute to studies focused on provider and patient perspectives on reproductive health care. In her current position at the Kaiser-Permanente Center for Health Research in Portland, Oregon, she endeavors to improve population health by conducting systematic evidence reviews to inform evidence-based recommendations on preventive health services delivery in the United States.
Areas of Interest:
- Effects of health policy changes
- Provider perspectives, beliefs, and practices
- Improving quality of health services
- Mixed methods research - combining large quantitative studies with qualitative inquiry
For a complete list of publications, please click here: Publications on PubMed.
Updated November 2013
- Harper CC, Stratton L, Raine TR, Thompson K, Henderson JT, Blum M, Postlethwaite D, Speidel JJ. Counseling and provision of long-acting reversible contraception in the US: National survey of nurse practitioners. Prev Med. 2013:57(6):883-8.
- Harper CC, Henderson JT, Raine TR, Goodman S, Darney PD, Thompson KM, Dehlendorf C, Speidel JJ. Evidence-based IUD practice: family physicians and obstetrician-gynecologists. Fam Med. 2012:44(9):637-45.
- Warren JT, Harvey SM, Henderson JT. Do severe depression and loss of self-esteem follow abortion? Evidence from a national study of adolescents. Perspectives in Sexual and Reproductive Health . 2010:4(42):230-5.
- Hwang AC, Koyama A, Taylor D, Henderson JT, Miller S. Advanced practice clinicians' interest in providing medical abortion: Results of a California survey. Perspectives on Sexual and Reproductive Health. 2005:37(2):92-7.
- Henderson JT, Hwang A, Harper CC, Stewart F. Safety of mifepristone abortions in clinical use. Contraception. 2005:72(3):175-8.
- Henderson JT, Puri M, Blum M, Rana A, Malla, K, Harper CC, Gurung G, Pradhan N, Sharma S, Satyal I, Bajracharya L, Regmi K, Acharya S, Grossman D, Lamichhane P, Darney PD. Effects of abortion legalization in Nepal, 2001-2010. PLoS ONE . 2013:8(5):e64775.
- Henderson JT, Harper CC, Gutin S, Saraiya M, Chapman J, Sawaya GF. Routine bimanual pelvic examinations: practices and beliefs of US obstetrician-gynecologists. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2013:208(2):109.e1-7.
- Rocca CH, Puri M, Dulal B, Bajracharya L, Harper CC, Blum M, Henderson JT. Unsafe abortion after legalisation in Nepal: a cross-sectional study of women presenting to hospitals. BJOG. 2013:120(9):1075-83.
- Lamichhane P, Harken T, Puri M, Darney PD, Blum M, Harper CC, Henderson JT. Sex-selective abortion in Nepal: A qualitative study of health workers’ perspectives. Women’s Health Issues . 2011:21(3):S37-41.
- Puri M, Lamichhane P, Harken T, Blum M, Harper CC, Darney PD, Henderson JT. . ‘Sometimes they used to whisper in our ears’: Health care workers’ perceptions of the effects of abortion legalization in Nepal. BMC Public Health . 2012:12(1):29.
- Henderson JT, Sawaya GF, Blum M, Stratton L, Harper CC . Pelvic examinations and access to oral hormonal contraception. Obstet Gynecol. 2010:116(6):1257-64.
- Harper CC, Henderson JT, Darney PD. Abortion in the United States. Annual Review of Public Health . 2005:26:501-12.
- Henderson JT, Raine T, Schalet A, Blum M, Harper CC. ‘I wouldn’t be this firm if I didn’t care’: Prevention counseling in reproductive health care. Patient Education & Counseling . 2010:82(2):254-9.
- Harper CC, Blanchard K, Grossman D, Henderson JT, Darney PD. Reducing maternal mortality due to elective abortion: Potential impact of misoprostol in low-resource settings. International Journal of Gynaecology & Obstetrics . 2007:98(1):66-69.