Philip Darney, MD, MSc
Professor, Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology & Reproductive Sciences
Chief of Obstetrics and Gynecology, San Francisco General Hospital
Director, Bixby Center for Global Reproductive Health
Director, Fellowship in Family Planning at UCSF
Dr. Darney is Professor of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Sciences at the University of California, San Francisco (UCSF) and Chief of Obstetrics and Gynecology at San Francisco General Hospital. He received his undergraduate degree in experimental psychology at the University of California, Berkeley, his M.D. at UCSF, and his M.Sc. at The London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine. He is board-certified in preventive medicine and obstetrics and gynecology and received his training in these specialties at the Centers for Disease Control, Atlanta, and Brigham and Women's Hospital, Boston. He has served on the medical faculties at Harvard University, the Oregon Health Sciences University, and UCSF.
Dr. Darney is the author of 200 scientific papers, scholarly reviews, and book chapters on contraception and gynecology and 3 books on family planning. He has conducted clinical and acceptability trials of implant, injectable and oral contraceptives, contragestins and intrauterine devices. Under his direction, the UCSF Bixby Center for Global Reproductive Health has conducted investigations of contraceptives for The National Institutes of Health, Centers for Disease Control, foundations, and pharmaceutical companies. The Center provides family planning services to teenagers and indigent women in San Francisco, trains gynecologists from all over the world in family planning technology and is the evaluator of California's family planning program.
Over the past 25 years, Dr. Darney has served as scientific advisor and field evaluator to the American Public Health Association, Engender Health, International Projects Assistance Service, Family Health International, the U.S. Agency for International Development, Pathfinder International and the Centers for Disease Control. He has served as a visiting professor and consultant around the world including Australia, Bangladesh, Brazil, Chile, Columbia, Egypt, Guatemala, Honduras, India, Indonesia, Mexico, Nepal, Nigeria, Pakistan, Philippines, Singapore, Sudan, Thailand, Turkey, Tunisia, Ukraine, Viet Nam, Zambia and Zimbabwe, as well as several European countries. He is a reviewer for the Journal of the American Medical Association, the New England Journal of Medicine, Obstetrics and Gynecology and a dozen other periodicals. He has served on the Board of Directors of the Planned Parenthood Federation of America, Engender Health, and the Guttmacher Institute as well as the editorial boards of Obstetrics and Gynecology and Contraception.
Areas of Interest:
- Preventive Medicine
- International Reproductive Health
- Contraceptive Development
- Family Planning Program Evaluation
- Abortion technology, services and training
- International Collaboration
Publications on PubMed
Updated January 2009
- Chabot M, Thiel de Bocanegra H, Lewis C, Darney P. Correlates of Receiving Reproductive Health Care Services Among U.S. Men Ages 15-44. American Journal of Men's Health. 2011:(In Press):.
- Freedman L, Landy U, Darney P, Steinauer J. Obstacles to the integration of abortion into obstetrics and gynecology practice. Perspectives on Sexual and Reprodroductive Health. 2010:42(3):146-51.
- Darney P, Patel A, Rosen K, Shapiro LS, Kaunitz AM. Safety and efficacy of a single-rod etonogestrel implant (Implanon): results from 11 international clinical trials. Fertility and Sterility. 2009:5(91):1646-53.
- Foster DG, Rostovseva D, Brindis C, Biggs A, Hulett D, Darney P. Cost Savings From the Provision of Specific Methods of Contraception in a Publicly Funded Program. American Journal of Public Health. 2009:3(99):446-51.
- Steinauer JE, Landy U, Filippone H, Laube D, Darney P, Jackson R. Predictors of abortion provision among practicing obstetrician-gynecologists: a national survey. American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2008:1(198):39.e1-6.
- Steinauer JE, Diedrich JT, Wilson MW, Darney PD, Vargas JE, Drey EA. Uterine artery embolization in postabortion hemorrhage. Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2008:4(111):881-9.
- Harper C, Blum M, Thiel de Bocanegra H, Darney P, Speidel J, Policar M, Drey E. Challenges in Translating Evidence to Practice: The Provision of Intrauterine Contraception. American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. 2008:6(111):1359-69.
- Foster DG, Jackson RA, Cosby K, Weitz TA, Darney PD, Drey EA. Predictors of delay in each step leading to an abortion. Contraception. 2008:4(77):289-93.
- Harper C, Blum M, Thiel de Bocanegra H, Darney P, Speidel J, Policar M, Drey E. Challenges in Translating Evidence to Practice: The Provision of Intrauterine Contraception. Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2008:6(111):1359-69.
- Harper CC, Blanchard K, Grossman D, Henderson JT, Darney PD. Reducing maternal mortality due to elective abortion: Potential impact of misoprostol in low-resource settings. International Journal of Gynaecology and Obstetrics. 2007:1(98):66-9.
- Meckstroth KR, Whitaker AK, Bertisch S, Goldberg AB, Darney PD. Misoprostol administered by epithelial routes: Drug absorption and uterine response. Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2006:3 Pt 1(108):582-90.
- Foster DG, Parvataneni R, Thiel de Bocanegra H, Lewis C, Bradsberry ME, Darney P. Number of Oral Contraceptive Pill Packages Dispensed, Method Continuation, and Costs. Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2006:5(108):1107-14.
- Raine TR, Harper CC, Rocca CH, Fischer R, Padian N, Klausner JD, Darney PD. Direct Access to Emergency Contraception Through Pharmacies and Effect on Unintended Pregnancy and STIs: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Journal of the American Medical Association. 2005:(293):54-62.
- Drey EA, Kang MS, McFarland W, Darney PD. Improving the accuracy of fetal foot length to confirm gestational duration. Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2005:4(105):773-8.
- Harper CC, Cheong M, Rocca CH, Darney PD, Raine TR. The effect of increased access to emergency contraception among young adolescents. Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2005:3(106):483-91.
- Sawaya GF, Harper C, Balistreri L, Boggess J, Darney P. Cervical neoplasia risk in women provided hormonal contraception without a Pap smear. Contraception. 2001:2(63):57-60.
- Jackson RA, Teplin VL, Drey EA, Thomas LJ, Darney PD. Digoxin to facilitate late second-trimester abortion: a randomized, masked, placebo-controlled trial. Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2001:3(97):471-6.
- Walker D, Darney P. Progestin Implants. In: Sciarra JJ, ed. Gynecology and Obstetrics. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 1999.